Search NOJH

safeUT TipLine                                                                                                                 safeUT Followup

NOJH PTSA General Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

9:00 am, NOJH Teacher Lounge                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

____________________________________________________________________________

In attendance:

Amy Jacobs Keri Fidler Marlisa Lund Jill Kirkham Don Morse Lisa Mann Julie Satterthwaite Dominique Dietz

Susan Burnett Mindy Pendergast Kristyn Humphreys Tiffany Godfrey

Wendy Long

Welcome & Introductions: Amy welcomed group and said Pledge of Allegiance.

Review of Minutes: March minutes were emailed and approved by Amy Jacobs and seconded by Jill Kirkham. They are posted online.

Principal’s Report:

  • Testing is going well with Chromebooks
  • Working on budget with District
  • New cabinetry in Art & CTE classrooms
  • Immersion will start 2nd year. A new Chinese teacher (Ling) has been hired.
  • Many teachers are on buy-out to teach full days.
  • Mrs. Long will be conducting a survey to determine who uses lockers. Will space be best used as a common area.
  • School now has many new cameras and they are working great
  • NOJH will be a pilot school offering Fit For Life to 9th graders
  • New shed in back of school is coming along
  • A lot of work has been done to accommodate increased student numbers and not use the portable.
  • Play went great - will try to get additional lights for stage/house
  • NOJH earned NAL and basketball championships
  • Track has started and is going well.

Counselor’s Report:

  • Counseling Confidence Review has encouraged counseling team to streamline files and track progress in a more comprehensive manner.
    • WSD required a high level of compliance
    • State requires a full review every six years, and an interim review every three years.
  • Jackie Muno will be part-time counselor
  • Multi-Tiered System Support (MTSS) is reducing the number of absences and tardies
    • Email was sent to all parents asking for attendance help
    • Talked with students who have excessive absences
    • Started attendance competition to track and reward students for being at school and on time to classes.
  • Working on Earth Day: United in Service.
    • Powerpoint on NOJH website
    • So many options for volunteering



Treasurer’s Report:

  • Discussion about teacher grants. Jill will talk to teachers at beginning of the year to promote the teacher grants. Mina to share testimonial.
  • Marlisa will get tags made to identify items purchased with grants.
  • Teachers need to be PTA members and the grant should benefit students.
  • NOJH will not contribute to the PTA at the new elementary because none of our students will attend

PTSA Reps:

  • PTSA Reps are making signs for teacher appreciation (40 teachers)
  • Mindy will look at service options for PTSA reps
  • Lizzie created an Instagram contest to encourage students to serve
    • Look at a program to reward those who are caught being good rather than students posting themselves doing service




President’s Report:

  • 9th Grade Party - May 23rd 11:00am (setup), 11:25am (start)
    • Zeppes or new place in Harrisville; 251 9th graders
    • Amy voiced concern to VP Morse about Zeppes truck being on same day as 9th grade party last year; Food truck will not come this year
  • Teacher Appreciation Day - May 6-10 - Kristyn Humphries
    • Kristyn to do lunch or breakfast. Possibly Fizz
  • PTSA/Teacher Grants - encourage PTA members to apply
  • Spring Doughnut Day - will need some volunteers
  • PTA Leadership Conference - May 16th & 17th - register online
  • PTSA Rep application deadline will be 8/31
    • Application will be posted as Google Form on NOJH website
  • HOPE Week - September 30 - October 4
  • Amy proposed Bylaws Amendment to increase membership fee from $7 to $8 per member due to $1 increase in fees next year due to ‘Member Hub’ requirement; she will bring up at next meeting due to low attendance at March meeting
    • Mindy proposed motion to post
    • We will vote at next meeting

NOJH PTSA General Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

9:00 am, NOJH Teacher Lounge                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

____________________________________________________________________________

In attendance:

Amy Jacobs Keri Fidler Marlisa Lund Jill Kirkham Don Morse Lisa Mann

Welcome & Introductions: Amy welcomed group and said Pledge of Allegiance.

Review of Minutes: February minutes were emailed and approved by Susan Barnett and seconded by Rachel Hedgepeth. They are posted online.

Principal’s Report:

  • Testing starting now and will go through April.
  • Track has started and first meet is next Friday.
  • Baseball had first game.
  • Community member had agreed to turn softball field into an actual field, but the vandalism may have changed that.

Counselor’s Report:

  • Dominique on HOPE Squad fieldtrip.
  • Working on Earth Day.

Treasurer’s Report:

  • Discussion about teacher grants. Jill will talk to teachers at beginning of the year to promote the teacher grants. Mina to share testimonial.
  • Marlisa will get tags made to identify items purchased with grants.
  • Teachers need to be PTA members and the grant should benefit students.
  • NOJH will not contribute to the PTA at the new elementary because none of our students will attend

PTSA Reps:

  • PTSA Reps are making signs for teacher appreciation (40 teachers)

PTSA Board Elections:

  • Amy motioned the following to be approved. All in favor voted unanimously to approve.
    • Jill Kirkham - President
    • Lisa Mann - President-Elect
    • Erin DeLuna- Treasurer
    • Marlisa Lund /Amy Jacobs - Legislative
    • Keri Fidler - Secretary
  • Discussions to review calendar with principles to make sure meetings are at a day/time that they are available for next year.

President’s Report:

  • 9th Grade Party - May 23rd 11:00am (setup), 11:25am (start)
    • Zeppes or new place in Harrisville; 251 9th graders
    • Amy voiced concern to VP Morse about Zeppes truck being on same day as 9th grade party last year; Food truck will not come this year
  • Teacher Appreciation Day - May 6-10 - Kristyn Humphries
  • PTSA/Teacher Grants - recent teacher grant to Ms. Romney for paint sprayer for LIon King production
  • Spring Doughnut Day - OK by Morse; Cassie to get in touch to coordinate date
  • Fundraising Recap - new vendor NorthStar Mortgage (replacing Lee’s and Themeworx); need to look at signs to see if lettering is bubbling/peeling; Thank you cards ready to be mailed
  • PTA Leadership Conference - May 16th & 17th - register online
  • HOPE Week - September 30 - October 4
  • Council Meeting update - New elementary school is Orchard Springs; students will come from Farr West Elementary, Majestic, and Lomond View
  • Amy proposed Bylaws Amendment to increase membership fee from $7 to $8 per member due to $1 increase in fees next year due to ‘Member Hub’ requirement; she will bring up at next meeting due to low attendance at March meeting

Upcoming Meetings:

  • April 17 @ 9:00 am

NOJH PTSA General Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

9:00 am, NOJH Teacher Lounge                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

____________________________________________________________________________

In attendance:

Amy Jacobs Keri Fidler Rachel Hedgepeth Susan Burnett

Amy Douangdara Lanise Heaton Lisa Mann Don Morse

Dominique Dietz

Welcome & Introductions: Amy welcomed group and said Pledge of Allegiance.

Review of Minutes: January minutes were emailed and approved by Marlisa Lund and seconded by Jill Kirkham. They are posted online.

President’s Report:

  • Chromebooks are working good so far and they have been well-received
  • Incentive was good
  • Cameras will be installed today
  • PTC tonight will be held in the rooms which is beneficial for teachers
  • Jerry is doing a great job keeping up with the snow and maintenance
  • Stomp had lower attendance but that seems to be a school trend
  • Registration should be up about 100 students next year. All of the schools are full and next bond won’t be for four years.
    • The new high school will be between Roy and Fremont

Counselor’s Report:

  • Finished registration for 9th grade (Weber Experience and PCCR)
  • Working on 9th grade credit makeup
  • Changes to course offering:
    • 7th grade gateway coding class
    • 8th grade required digital literacy class
    • 9th grade Fit for Life
  • Registration for 6th & 7th grade ongoing
  • QPR suicide prevention strategy (HOPE for UT) is tonight from 6-7

Treasurer’s Report:

  • Waiting on expenses from stomp and PTC dinner
  • Grants: Ms. Draper has library needs - school may be able to help, but if not PTSA might
  • Approved grant for Ms. Romney for paint sprayer
  • Asked Don and Dom if they have ideas for funding to let us know

Fundraising (Amy):

  • We have all sponsors in place. Northern Mortgage & Home Inspection will take two spots.
  • Do any signs need to be replaced? Amy will look
  • Amy & Amy will make thank you notes for all donors

PTSA Reps:

  • Valentine’s Day Stomp Recap - DJ concerns: too many slow songs
  • PTSA Reps to make signs for teacher appreciation (40 teachers)

Nominating Committee: (Susan)

  • Susan presented. Dom nominated and Don seconded
    • Jill Kirkham - President
    • Lisa Mann - President-Elect
    • Erin DeLuna- Treasurer
    • Marlisa Lund /Amy Jacobs - Legislative
    • Keri Fidler - Secretary

President’s Report: (Amy)

  • PTSA Day @ Capitol - Jill will report on this next meeting
  • PT Conference/Lunch - 4:00 today in the cafeteria (Amy & Angie)
  • Teacher Grants - Will evaluate as needed
  • State Reflections @ Cottonwood HS - April 12, 7:30-8:30
    • Brooke Wagner - Yellow umbrella painting
  • PTS Leadership Conference - May 16
    • Talk to Jill if interested in attending
  • HOPE Week - September 30-October 4 - Confirmed
  • Box tops to Lisa
  • Sent check for $300 to Weber Scholarship Fund. This is an increase but it benefits NOJH students in the future.
  • May 6-10 Teacher Appreciation (Kristin)

Upcoming Meetings:

  • March 20 @ 9:00 am

NOJH PTSA General Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

9:00 am, NOJH Teacher Lounge                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

____________________________________________________________________________

In attendance:

Amy Jacobs Keri Fidler   Jill Kirkham Erin DeLuna

Kristyn Humphreys Rachel Hedgepeth Susan Burnett      Amy Douangdara

Marlisa Lund Julie Satterthwaite Dominique Dietz      Lizzie Lund

Mindy Pendergast Lanise Heaton

Welcome & Introductions: Amy welcomed group and said Pledge of Allegiance.

Review of Minutes: November minutes were emailed and approved by Mindy and seconded by Marlisa and Rachel. They are posted online.

Counselor’s Report:

  • MTSS Action Plan: Working with a multi-tier support system and discipline policy. This includes many groups throughout the school to respond to needs and appropriately offer intervention as needed.
  • Asked teachers to consider in-class interventions for challenges.
    • Shared with teachers how to refer students for factual vs. emotional reasons.
  • Mr. Gross & Dom are using data to decrease tardiness and increase on-time behavior.
    • Discussion about encouraging teachers to help students understand importance
    • Send email to parents to let them know this is a problem , ask for their help, and remind them what time school starts.
  • Field trip to ATC for interested 9th graders
  • 1/30: Project Lead the Way Orientation
  • 1/31: 9th Grade Career Development (Road trip to Resume)
  • 2/6: Weber Experience for 9th Grade
  • 2/8: 9th Grade PCCRs - 4 year plan
  • 2/11: Bates Elementary Visit
  • 2/12: Ski Incentive
  • 2/22: North Ogden Elementary Visit
  • 2/25: Green Acres Elementary Visit

Treasurer’s Report:

  • Erin shared handout with budget. All accounts are on budget.

Fundraising:

  • ThemeWorx will not be renewing this year.
  • Lisa turned in form to Lee’s and will follow-up with them. Sara Lund will check with Dessert Factory. Kristyn has a couple of businesses in mind for other sponsors (Amy will forward a blank template to her).  All other payments has been received. Possible 2 spots open.

PTSA Reps: (Mindy & Lizzie)

  • Service projects:
    • 4/22 Earth Day
  • Valentine’s Day Stomp -
    • Wednesday, February 13, 2:45-4:15
    • Candyland theme
      • Fliers on doors instead of posters
      • Lizzie will make and send to Amy to print
    • PTSA Reps will be checked out 6th & 7th period to setup
    • Mindy will take care of food
      • Ice cream or candy and/or popcorn
    • Heather & Molly to spearhead dance
      • Prizes?
    • Ben to DJ

Nominating Committee: (Susan)

  • Names discussed
    • Jill - President
    • Lisa Mann - President-Elect
    • Erin - Treasurer
    • Legislative - Marlisa/Amy
    • Keri - Secretary

President’s Report: (Amy)

  • Reflections: Brooke Wagnor went to State
  • Doughnut Day - 16 dozen
  • Legislative Meeting - Jan. 15
    • Dr. Stevens encouraged everyone to talk to their Representatives
      • There is $1.32 billion in surplus for state
      • Increase of 5.5% in weighted pupil unit provides ongoing funding
      • $60 million for school safety (one-time funds)
    • Let the Representative know: “I am your constituent”
      • Encourage them to make good on their promise to fund education
  • Legislative Day at Capitol is 2/12. Sign up online if interested.
  • Parent Teacher Conference Dinner - Feb. 20
  • Bring Box Tops to next meeting

Upcoming Meetings:

  • February 20 @ 9:00 am

NOJH PTSA General Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

9:00am, NOJH Teacher Lounge                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

____________________________________________________________________________

In attendance:

Amy Jacobs Keri Fidler   Jill Kirkham Lizzie Lund

Julie Satterthwaite Rachel Hedgepeth Dominique Dietz      Susan Burnett

Marlisa Lund Kristyn Humphreys Mindy Pendergast      Don Morse

Welcome & Introductions: Amy welcomed those in attendance.

Review of Minutes: 9/19 minutes were emailed and approved. Rachel approved, and Mindy seconded.

Reflections:

  • Rachel shared that even with the extended deadline there were only 10 entries.
  • Participating students will be recognized at assembly (Amy to arrange with Ms. K)
  • Treat will be given to each participant. Winners will be recognized at the awards assembly with gift cards.
  • Discussion about pros/cons of keeping the program. Does time to manage it outweigh the participation.
    • Students who participate learn skills, receive accolades, and hopefully lower at-risk behaviors.
    • It is a valuable program for those who participate, but everyone is just so overwhelmed it’s hard to add one more thing.
    • Will look to involve a committee next year to lighten the load.

Counselor’s Report:

  • Career development is underway with the 8th grade. They have a 4-year plan on Google Classroom. 8th grade is to get info and start thinking about it, 9th grade is time to get serious about the plan.
    • Changes are expected in required courses including digital literacy, PE, and computer science.
    • 8th grade PCCR 11/12-12/14/18
    • 7th grade PCCR 12/17-19
  • Thank you to PTSA for a great Parent-Teacher Conference dinner.
  • Updates on Comprehensive Guidance Review - 11/8
  • Mix It Up at Lunch - 10/23
  • New Student Social to welcome those new to the school and to the area
  • Due to several recent deaths, a Grief Group will be started in January
  • HOPE Squad is working through training

Principal’s Report:

  • Mr. Morse reported the school received $5,000 grant for cameras plus $5,000 in matching funds. The new cameras will be installed as soon as possible.
  • The school will be issuing Chromebooks to students in January. Increased enrollment brought in additional funds for teacher salaries, which allowed Trust Land Funds to purchase additional Chromebooks.
    • Computers are pre-programmed to go through district filters.
    • Teachers will have 12 training sessions.
    • Teachers encouraged to use Chromebooks to enhance not replace teaching.
    • Concerns were expressed from those in attendance about brain development and too much stimulation from screen time.
    • Additional access points will be installed throughout the school to help with wi-fi connections.
  • Discussion about potential service projects for PTSA Reps to do around the school

PTSA Reps:

  • Reps made Red Ribbon Week posters
  • Mr. Short is taking the lead on Red Ribbon Week activities at the school, and PTSA Reps will help.
    • Mindy and Lizzie will organize shifts to help distribute prizes.

Other:

  • Move HOPE Week discussion to next meeting
    • Discussion about food trucks - lines too long, not enough food.
  • Kristyn has new business names for fundraising efforts.
  • PTSA Doughnut day will be in November.
  • Christmas Tree Jubilee
    • Lisa will be doing the tree for NOJH using a donated tree.
  • Upcoming elections
    • Please vote!
    • Many great resources to help make decisions, including vote.utah.gov

Upcoming Meetings:

  • Wednesday, November 14 @ 9:00 am

NOJH PTSA General Meeting Minutes

Wednesday September 19, 2018

9:00am, NOJH Teacher Lounge                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

____________________________________________________________________________

In attendance:

Amy Jacobs Keri Fidler   Jill Kirkham Lisa Mann

Wendy Long Rachel Hedgepeth Dominique Dietz      Erin DeLuna

Marlisa Lund Teara Galbraith Kristyn Humphreys      Don Morse

Mindy Pendergast

Welcome & Introductions: Amy welcomed those in attendance and asked for introductions.

Review of Minutes: Keri reviewed 8/22 minutes. Marlisa approved, and Lisa seconded.

Principal’s Report: Wendy thanked everyone for a great start to the year.

  • Increased enrollment has resulted in additional funds to pay for full-time science teacher. This will free up Trust Land Funds.
  • The school will purchase 11 new portable Chromebook Labs. The ratio of students to Chromebooks will be nearly 1:1. Chromebooks are leased with a renewal every 4 years.
  • PTSA’s payment for Colin Karchner is $500.
  • Discussion about moving HOPE week to another week not during parent-teacher conferences. Marlisa will suggest this to the high school.
  • Discussion about the possible carbon monoxide incident at Weber High. NOJH has working CO detectors and Scott Zelmer from the district is working hard to make sure the issue is resolved and schools are safe.
  • Don talked about the lockdown drill scheduled for this afternoon. NOPD will assist. Students are taught “lights out, out of sight.” Detailed how the district’s reunification team trains and prepares for these drills. The junior highs should do 8 drills/year.

Counselor’s Report:

  • HOPE Week updates. Several community organizations including Prevent Child Abuse, Safe UT, & Hannah’s Hope will be on site to provide information about resources. Dom will provide mindfulness/breathing techniques.
  • Character Education is off to a good start. The focus is mindfulness.
  • Mindfulness will now be Wednesday mornings at 7:25.
  • Discussion about Comprehensive Guidance Review
  • The counseling office is working hard to improve attendance by 25%. Melissa Fronk and the counselors are working to identify a student advocate for each student with attendance concerns including cultural, home life, adverse childhood experiences, and homelessness. Advocates work with and encourage the student to improve attendance.

Hope Week - 9/25 at Orion

  • Colin Kartchner will speak at NOJH @ 10:00 am on 9/24.
  • Mindy & Kristyn have been coordinating with Orion and local businesses to prepare for 9/25
  • PTSA Reps & HOPE Squad will volunteer to help hand out wristbands and meal tickets.
  • Kristyn has made a Google Form to help with meal ticket organization. There will be 150 meal tickets available per truck.
  • There will be 5-6 food trucks (Lost Texan, Tacos, Corn Dog, Hawaiian food, Island Splash, Doughnuts) at Orion from 4:30-7:00. They are not allowed in the parking lot due to new food truck laws.
    • Still working on water. Kristyn reached out to Associated Foods, but they have not responded yet.
    • Orion responsible to get recycling bins.
  • BMX presentation will be from 6:-7:00 in the Orion Gym.
  • Monday is Food Truck Night @ Snowcrest, Thursday is Jon Bytheway @ Weber.

Treasurer’s Report:

  • Erin reviewed the budget.
  • Discussion about AIM insurance. Suggestion to ask the District if the PTSA is covered at the junior high level as a club.
  • Waiting on registration/reimbursements from JoAnn so we can get the membership funds from the school.

Reflections:

  • Rachel reminded everyone of the 10/8 deadline.
  • Encourage students to participate
  • Discussion about QR code cost vs. benefit for providing application forms.
  • Treat will be given to each participant. Winners will be recognized at the awards assembly with a $10-$15 gift card.

PTSA Reps:

  • Mindy reported this year’s reps are awesome!
  • There are 24 students and a good mix of grades.
  • Letters of Intent and Recommendation were presented for any who wanted to read them.
  • PTSA Reps are looking for a project to do in lieu of recycling.
    • Amy will email Wendy for ideas

Other:

  • PT Conference dinner 9/26
    • From 3:30-4:30 in the cafeteria
    • Angie Erickson has arranged for Teriyaki Chicken from Mo Bettah
  • Fundraising Letter
    • Need to deliver Rands Roofing and Kirk Larsen
  • Box Tops due at October meeting
    • PTSA reps will help cut them
  • Red Ribbon Week 10/23-10/31
    • PTSA will do doughnuts

Upcoming Meetings:

  • October 17 @ 9:00 am